©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Thursday, April 5, 2012

My Reading Quirks

Given: I like to read.
Given: Spoilers don't spoil anything for me.

In the 9th grade, Geometry was my favorite subject. That my teacher was a shirt-tail relative didn't hurt things. A lot of things came together for me then, and I can trace my brand of logical thinking back to that class.

So about my quirks: I will read a book from the beginning, but somewhere around chapter six or seven I will jump to the end of the book and read the ending. Most of the time, I'll go back to where I left off and read the book through. I like to read them this way to see if my imagination matches the author's in getting from start to finish. Occasionally, I'll do that and give up on a book. I did that yesterday. It's not that the book wasn't good, I think it was and that it had a lot of good things in it, but it wasn't holding MY interest. Not every author who writes romance will write romances I like. It's not to say that author isn't doing a good job, it is more to say that the book isn't the right book for me and my interests at that particular time. Some authors write books I love but other books I don't care for as much. That's okay--it's individual preference and it makes the world go round (well, not really. I mean, I do understand about the gravitational pulls and the earth rotating on its own axis, etc, but you know what I mean!).

I also reread books almost to the point of memorization. There are just some books I never tire of.

I read according to my mood. There are days I need humor or days I need to be lost in something outside my real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment