©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

To Be Perfectly Honest

This book by Phil Callaway kept me awake last night. I found it entertaining but convicting at the same time. I understood Phil's dilemma--when is it okay to be brutal with your honesty, and how do you balance honesty with caring? I ached with him over the deterioration of his mother and her eventual death, having lost my own mother a couple of years ago. I know the temptation to employ the Therapeutic Alterations of Reality.

I chose this book for my first review because I've read Phil's articles in Servant Magazine from Prairie Bible Institute. My daughter is an alumna of Prairie and I have other friends who are also alumni from there. I have always found his writing funny and this book did not disappoint me, but it was not just chuckles all the way through. Phil gives us snippets of real life that includes the death of his mother, the illnesses of family members and friends, and the struggles of day-to-day living.

I can't wait to see my friend who went to Prairie and give this book to her. I know she'll love it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment