©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Couple of Reviews

Hometown Fourth of July, by June Foster, is a cute little novel based in the southern Puget Sound, Washington. I had a couple of appointments this week and the time I spent waiting for them gave me ample opportunity to read, and it allowed me to read this whole book. It is the story of Max and his search for his past, and the story of Lynn who feels either unnoticed or unappreciated as the middle child of several. Both are searching for a place to belong. Max knows he's adopted because he's hispanic in a caucasian family, but he wants to find his birth mother and find out why she gave him up. Through an accidental meeting with Lynn, Max begins an all out search for his birth mother and for answers. Lynn uses her computer skills to aid in the search. Because of unforeseen circumstances, Max sinks into a depression and neglects his relationship with Lynn. When God gets ahold of Max's heart and speaks through his pain, Max does everything it takes to make it up to Lynn and then, well, I won't spoil the rest of the story for you.

I will say this, the story was sweet, it was a quick read, but I thought the characters were a bit underdeveloped and the story could have gone deeper.

My other review is Masquerade by Nancy Moser. Lottie is betrothed by her parents to a man in New York City. She's never met him and she doesn't like the thought of marrying someone for any reason except for love. On the ship to New York, Lottie and her companion, Dora, decide to trade places. Lottie wants to give Dora the opportunity to find her own way in the world. As soon as they come ashore in New York, Lottie's money is stolen, and she is reduced to finding her own way--whatever that is. This story takes you to tenements and orphanages, to uptown New York, where high society is everything, and in the process Dora and Lottie both find true love.

I absolutely LOVED this book. I have read a couple of Nancy's other books, but this one really got me hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment