©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Season for Tending

For a while I read every Christian Romance I could get my hands on and a lot of them were Amish Romances. Then I got tired of everything Amish and quit reading them at all. I got A Season of Tending and I think I am going to have to read everything Cindy Woodsmall has written. My only complaint with this book is that I think Cindy ended it too soon. I need to know what happens with Rhoda.

Rhoda Byler is an herbs and vines "farmer." She has an acre of various herbs and berry vines. She cans and sells her berries in various products--pie fillings, jams, preserves, etc. She uses her herbs for medicinal properties as well as in cooking savory things.

Samuel King is an apple orchardist trying to find a way to keep his family's farm above water. His brother, Jacob, has secrets he is not willing to tell; his brother, Eli, is wanting more money and responsibility but seems too lazy to keep up with the work necessary to earn the money he wants; his sister, Leah, is taking rumschpringe too far and ends up drunk and asleep in Rhoda's garden.

Because of Leah's actions, Rhoda meets Samuel and his brothers, and they decide they want to hire Rhoda to can their apples to sell on the same markets where she already sells her berries. It takes some talking to get Rhoda to agree, but she eventually does.

This book is not your average Amish romance. These people demonstrate real emotions with real foibles in real relationships. This book is a definite Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and an Apple Orchard.

You can read the first chapter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment