©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, March 15, 2013

Whispers of a New Dawn

When I reviewed a Murray Pura book before, I acknowledged that I'd like to read him again. When Whispers of a New Dawn became available for review, I jumped at the chance because it dealt with two of my favorite subjects: romance and World War II. Before you think I am morbid to enjoy books about war, let me explain. My father and my father-in-law served in World War II, as did most of my uncles. That era of history is dear to me.

Rebecca Whetstone is a pilot who ferries missionaries to and from their duty stations. She is also able to barnstorm and is a legend in her own time as far as her flying abilities are concerned. After her last flight, she and her parents go back to their Pennsylvania home among the Amish. While she is there she meets Moses, a very likable young man and an intriguing one as well. After his untimely death, Rebecca vows to never love again. An opportunity presents itself for her family to move to Hawaii and for Rebecca to teach fighter pilots the barnstorming techniques that could very well save their lives in an air fight situation.

Through her duties as an instructor, she meets Raven, a pilot whose skills are too soft for his commanding officer's liking. Murray Pura has written another good book with almost believable characters. My only criticism is that the passions exhibited by Rebecca and Raven aren't believable with the restraint they also showed. The storyline leading up to the Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor.

Definite four stars, two thumbs up, and a barrel roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment