©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Laughing, Crying, Cooking

From the time I first read Worms in My Tea and Other Mixed Blessings, I have been in love with Becky Johnson. I've read MOST of everything she's written. We are even friends on Facebook. Now Becky has joined with her daughter to put together a memoir/cookbook combination called We Laugh, We Cry, We Cook. The love affair these two women have with their kitchens is amazing. I relate more to Becky because I can dirty every pot, pan, and bowl in the kitchen while preparing the meals for my family. My husband follows behind me to clean the kitchen and he will grouse (good-naturedly) about the mess I've made.

One of the funniest (to me) stories in the book is when Jared (Rachel's husband) is making his roasted pepper black bean and corn salsa and the smoke alarm goes off--for the whole condo complex. Three firetrucks later, they find out that the smoke alarm was due to another condo resident's burning popcorn. I can so relate to Jared about finding something he likes and having it over and over and over again.

The stories related in the book give you glimpses into the lives of the Johnson/Randolph clan. You get to know them and feel like they are your friends, and you come to love them like they are your family. There is no way this book is less than Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and the comfort of a well-stocked kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment