©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Taken for English

When I read this book, I felt like I'd been dropped inside the middle of a story and I wasn't going to get the punchline, no matter what I did. Come to find out, I was dropped inside the middle of a story, or exactly two thirds of the way through the story. Taken for English is the third book of a series by Olivia Newport. I wish I had taken the time to read the other books in the series, and I wouldn't have been so lost in this one. This is not a book that can stand on it's own two feet, it has to rest on the shoulders of the previous novels in the collection.

That aside, Olivia has taken a new approach to this book in that she integrates a book within the book, and uses it to explain how Annie came to yearn for the Amish lifestyle and for Rufus himself. It's in her history and it's in her blood. Not understanding this is what caused me my confusion. It took me a while to figure out the bouncing back and forth from Arkansas to Colorado, from the 1800's to the 2000's, from Joseph and Maura to Annie and Rufus and Ruth and Elijah, from Amish to English and English to Amish.

Would I recommend this book? Yeah, after the other two books have been read for foundation. Olivia writes a good story and the intricacies of her plots are what make her a good writer. Thumbs Up

No comments:

Post a Comment