©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Fair Play

I will often stay up really late to finish a good book, and I did stay up really late last night/this morning. It wasn't because the book was so good I couldn't put it down. It was because I wanted to be through with the book.

Deeanne Gist has written some really good books I've really enjoyed, but Fair Play is not one of them. The story line is all right as it is, but she has added some things to the story that could just as well been left out.

I've been thinking about this review all day long, and I am at a loss for how to really word my review. There are some really great characters, Derry, Billy Jack, Hunter, and even some historical characters like Jane Addams. There are some circumstances and events in the book that really capture the imagination and to find in the author's notes that these are based in historical fact.

My one HUGE caveat is that Deeanne has not written a book of Christian fiction. I don't remember any mention of faith in the whole book. The physical attraction between Billy Jack and Hunter cross the line in my mind because it goes beyond simple attraction, and truly doesn't add to the story.

I'd give this only two stars, but the story line itself bumps it up to three.

No comments:

Post a Comment