©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Hello? Hello? Is This the Party To Whom I Am Speaking?

It took me a while to get into Siri Mitchell's style of writing, but once I did, I found she was a very enjoyable author with a uniquely captivating style. So I signed up to read Love Comes Calling, thinking I'd enjoy it just as much as the other books I'd read by her.

I was surprised to find I didn't particularly care for Ellis Eton, the main character, and in not particularly liking her, I didn't particularly like the whole book. Ellis is, by all accounts, a flibbertigibbet, easily distracted, filled with good intentions, and yet unable to master her own impulses. She makes ready promises, but creates circumstances that force her to break them, she's undependable and at best flighty. All that being said, I would have enjoyed the book so much more if Siri's afterword had been a foreword instead. She explains that she's taken the signs and symptoms of ADHD and put them in a character who lived a hundred years ago. Now Ellis makes so much more sense, I can understand some of her impulsiveness and some of her inability to buckle down and see something through. That alone would have made the book infinitely more enjoyable for me.

Griffin's patience with Ellis is something legends are made of, and his pursuit of her along with his friendship, make her a bit more sympathetic. Janie's dilemma is one that anyone can relate to, and Ellis' desire to help her friend is easily understood. Ellis' desire to be approved of by her family is one that can resonate with many people.

Knowing what I know AFTER I've read the book allows me to give it Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a phone call that will bring good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment