©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Sunday, June 8, 2014

One Perfect Spring

On this blog, I rarely insert anything to do with my life outside the cybersphere, but this has NOT been One Perfect Spring at my house. My husband has been seriously injured twice this spring, but that's all that I have that remotely connects to this book. So those injuries will be other stories for other days.

Haley is a young girl of eleven years who cares deeply for the people in her life. In fact, she cares so much for her next door neighbor, Maureen Chandler, that she writes a letter to a corporation known for its philanthropic pursuits. Her letter lands on the desk of David McMillan who hands it off to Keith Watson. Maureen, an art history professor, has had a son and given him up for adoption. She wants to find her son and become acquainted with him. Keith is reluctanct to pursue this investigation because he was abandoned by his mother and adopted as a young child.

However, Keith's forays into finding Maureen's son puts him in the path of Claire and Haley Summers, who live next door to Maureen, AND David McMillan himself decides to insert himself into the investigation. All those meetings add up to more than just a simple investigation into an adoption that happened twenty-two years ago.

I only have a couple of objections to Irene Hannon's novel:
1. Throughout the book she calls Haley a little girl. Haley is eleven years old and I feel that is way past a little girl--she may be a young girl, she may be small for her age, but she's not a little girl. Okay, that's my rant. I really should find a gentler way to voice my objection, but this truly is my opinion, nothing more.
2. I had a hard time understanding Keith's emphatic dislike of mothers who give up children for adoption. For me, adoption is a beautiful story of how much God loves us. With Keith's upbringing as described in the book, he would have seen this for himself. All right, now I am being picky.

Here's the skinny you are looking for on the book: the story is well written and flows naturally. There are not any places where it seems to drag. It is a sweet little romantic story that will bring a smiling sigh to the reader once the book is finished. Strong Four Stars

An e-book galley was supplied to me through NetGalley by the publisher for my honest review. I was not compensated in any way for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment