©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Hidden Blessings

Kim Cash Tate has written a book that kept me in tears most of the afternoon. As I read Kendra's story--finding her disease, going through treatments, watching her upcoming wedding break off, and then seeing her past come back for resolution--I couldn't help compare Kendra's struggles with my own. Kendra found that she had Inflammatory Breast Cancer a week before she was supposed to marry Derek. Derek, being the man that he is, chooses to dump her and "move on with his life," so she can move on with hers. Kendra has a talk with her supervisor who sends her home from Washington, DC, to St Louis, MO. When she arrives home, she finds that her brother has turned her parents' home into a frat-party house, some strange man has moved in downstairs, her father is living in Africa, and she can't bring herself to tell her family she's ill.

The title of the book, Hidden Blessings, is one that hints at the blessings that are hidden within the pages of this book. There are many spiritual nuggets to be gleaned in stories of the characters in the book. Lance's day to day faithfulness to the God who loves him is inspirational. Trey's coming to terms with who he is and how he will live is one that creates a great example for many who struggle with their own sexuality. Molly's learning about God's love in a wholesome and completely freeing way is a lesson we all need to learn. Timmy's overcoming his drugs gives hope to many addicts. Those are just a few of the blessings that Kim has hidden in her book. Ellen, Marlon, Brooklyn, Kendra, and Pamela all have lessons to teach us.

Lance teaches Kendra photography and through the outlet of photography Kendra takes a daily picture of God's goodness in her life. Some days it's harder than others because of the side effects of her chemo, but it's something she truly enjoys learning and it truly brings joy to her life. I love photography myself and found some things that encouraged me. One of the most encouraging lines for me in the book is something Lance's mother Pamela said to Kendra when they first met:
"I can focus on my [situation] and stay depressed, or I can focus on God's goodness and know that I'll have an eternity to enjoy with Him."

One of the funniest moments is after Kendra and Lance get married and Derek calls her complaining that he was put in such a poor light because of his treatment of her. Lance asks Kendra if he can go "old Lance" on Derek for a couple of minutes. (I've really been trying awfully hard to work in my favorite Sophia Petrillo (The Golden Girls) quote and I guess here is as good a place as any:
“Why do blessings wear disguises? If I were a blessing, I’d run around naked.”
)

I love, love, love this book, and I appreciated Kim's research into Inflammatory Breast Cancer, and into a number of social maladies and conundrums to bring an honest portrayal of God's love in such a moving way.

Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a naked blessing.

Thomas Nelson provided this book for me to read and give my honest review. The opinions are mine alone and I was not in any way compensated for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment