©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, February 13, 2015

My Heart Stood Still

Lori Copeland writes engaging, humorous novels with heroines who have a penchant for getting in trouble or creating trouble. Anne-Marie is all of that and a bit more. She and her sisters support a mission orphanage the best way they know how, by pulling cons. The latest con had them dressed as nuns, and the latest predicament had them in a jail wagon being chased by Comanches. When the wagon turns over and the girls fall out, three men come along to rescue the sisters, each one taking one of the sisters and riding off in a different direction. Anne-Marie is carried off by Creed Walker, a Crow warrior, who was more annoyed by Anne-Marie than enamored of her, but that all changes over time.

I think I am going to need to read these books again in one sitting to get the whole picture that Lori is painting. I felt this one wasn't nearly as good as the first one in the series. Usually I can remember more about the book a few days after I finish it, but I had to look it up to see which book I was supposed to be reviewing. It's pretty harsh to think I could forget so quickly, but this one just didn't have the staying power for me.

I found myself getting more and more annoyed with Anne-Marie as the book went on, and then when she meets up with Berry Woman, the Comanche girl Creed is supposed to marry, she becomes even more annoying in that she tries to run away and ends up making Creed rescue her again. There are bad guys who are chasing Anne-Marie and she has to think fast to evade them at every turn. The action keeps the story moving and keeps the reader engaged.

Three and a half stars.

My thanks to Harvest House Publishing for allowing me to read this book in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment