©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Bringing Narnia Home

I was not familiar with C S Lewis and his writings until I had children who were interested in reading the Chronicles of Narnia. I decided to read them too--that was about twenty years ago. When I saw Bringing Narnia Home on the review list, I jumped at the chance to read and review it. Devin Brown has studied these books with the intensity of a private eye on the case. He recommends reading the books in the series first before you read his book and it's a good bit of advice. I wish I had had the time to do so, even though I read them years ago.

So here's the scoop: According to Mr Brown, C S Lewis wrote a treatise on living the Christian life that children can understand. Some of the precepts he described are that life is an adventure and it needs to be lived, evil masquerades as something good, adventures begin in unusual circumstances, sometimes the most positive experiences come out of negative circumstances.

Central to Mr Brown's book is Aslan, who was also central to Mr Lewis' books too. Aslan is not safe, by any means, but he is always good. Aslan loves, guides, corrects, reproves, and teaches the Pevensie children along with Jill and Eustace. Aslan is not one particular person of the Trinity, but embodies the traits of all three persons of the Godhead.

I have to say that early in Mr Brown's book, I found myself in tears, and, at other times, I found myself laughing out loud. I could easily find myself in the children portrayed in the Chronicles--especially in their less than stellar moments.

While Mr Brown recommends reading the Chronicles first, I would also advise to read Mr Brown's book with a notebook and pencil nearby. I took copious notes and I feel that this book can lend itself to a great Bible study and discussion book. Chapter by chapter, the precepts in this book can also be found in the Bible, but in a way that lend themselves to immediate application.

I cannot endorse this book highly enough. Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a day in the Wardrobe.

My thanks to Abingdon Press for allowing me to read and review this book. My thanks to Abingdon Press for publishing this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment