©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Two Roads Home

I have not read the first book in the Chicory Inn series, I just jumped into book two and I LOVED IT. Romance is my genre, but this is not a typical romance. This would fit more into a more generic Women's Fiction genre, but it is suspenseful, romantic, and engaging. I've read some of Deborah Raney's books, and I have enjoyed them immensely. This book is no different. Even though it is part of a series, I didn't feel like I came into the middle of anything. The characters pretty much stood on their own two feet.

Jesse works for a high-tech vacuum cleaner company in their sales department. This requires him to travel quite a bit and to travel with a beautiful, single girl who works with him. Michaela would truly love to be involved with Jesse, but he's in love with his wife, Corinne. When he openly rebuffed her advances, she makes allegations of sexual harrassment against Jesse, then ups her game by stalking Corinne and their daughters. Out of this morass of trauma comes a solution that Corrinne and Jesse never pictured happening--Jesse was going to quit his job and go back to school to get his teaching degree.

For Jesse to go back to school required selling their house, finding a smaller one, possibly Corinne getting a job, and Jesse finding a job as well. The solutions work out so beautifully, God's hand had to be on the whole situation.

Deborah has taken an unfortunately common situation and brought the characters through the trauma showing how God's hand is in every part of our lives with grace and humor. Her characters have real emotions and real faults. Corinne and Jesse's love for each other is not a super-sweet, over the top kind of love, but it is a real, muddle through the trials kind of love.

Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a house swap to fit your goals.

My thanks to Abingdon Press for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment