©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Curiouser and Curiouser

The opinions expressed here are solely the property of the blog owner. That being said, I will say that I did not enjoy The Curiosity Keeper as much as I expected. I've read and enjoyed books by Sarah Ladd before and I expect to again. She writes quality novels with incredible characters and great plots, and I will not disagree that she's done that here as well, but I will say this one just didn't fit my tastes.

Camille Iverson is the daughter of a curiosity shop owner. What she doesn't know about her father is that he's not honest in his dealings and not immune to using violence or out and out thievery to get ahead.

Jonathan Gilchrist is the son of an estate owner and curiosity collector. When the estate is burgled and a priceless ruby is stolen, Jonathan is tasked with retrieving the ruby to restore the fortunes of the estate.

Ian Gilchrist is Jonathan's father and at the beginning of the book cares more for money than he does people. He does take care of the people in his village by providing food for those who have no other way to get it, and by providing a school for children who have nowhere else to go. Somehow or other, he undergoes a change toward the end of the book, but Sarah doesn't explain how he comes about this change. I would have liked to have known.

Penelope Gilchrist is Ian's daughter and she's engaged to be married, but her father has squandered her dowry and her fiance is really desirous of her dowry. She seems to be a flibbertigibbet most of the time in the book, but Camille shows her compassion beyond what Penelope showed Camille.

From the beginning, it is obvious that Camille and Jonathan will become a couple, and it's not a huge stretch to figure out how they will fall in love.

Like I said, this book didn't fit my tastes, but there is a lot to like about it. Four stars.

My thanks to Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment