©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, June 5, 2015

The Root of Righteousness

Sometimes I like to read something that has some maturity to it by age, but is just as new as today's paper. Today I finished reading The Root of Righteousness by A.W. Tozer. I can't really go into all the things in this book that really touched me, resonated with me, or intrigued me. There are just too many of them. The one thing that soaked in deep for me today is that we think we are loving God, but considering that God is love and is the source of all love, all we can really do is reflect His love back to Him. We truly have no love of our own except God gives it to us. We love Him because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19) We are the moon to His Sun/Son set in orbit to reflect His love back to Him and to the rest of the world.

This book was originally published in 1955 and yet every precept is applicable and new today. Since God is timeless, His theology and doctrines are timeless and Tozer has reintroduced those doctrines so eloquently in this book. One point Tozer made is that we are so caught up in bearing fruit that we forget we must be attached to the root of the righteousness to even bear the fruit His righteousness produces. Then he goes on to show us what our attachment to the root should produce in us.

This book is important for every believer. Tozer brings so many precepts in easy-to-understand language, and yet it could be read fairly quickly. I didn't read this quickly because I was ruminating on the precepts presented. Definite Five Stars.

My thanks to Moody Publishers for allowing me to read and review this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment