©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Love Is . . .

When you pick up a nine novella collection, you are looking for quick little reads that will occupy an hour or two and not engage too many brain cells, or at least I do. So, when I read the Timeless Love Romance Collection, I knew I was in for some not too deep entertainment. And I got exactly what I was looking for, which was a great thing.

These novellas range from turn of the twentieth century to post World War II, and there is at least one story that takes on each era of the time covered: post World War I, the Depression, and post WW II. The issues and difficulties of living through these eras are plainly portrayed and the authors have done a great job of pulling their stories together.

One of the stories was quite thought provoking for me--Finding Yesterday by Jennifer Rogers Spinola, because she included in her setting the Civilian Conservation Corps and the work projects that program sponsored. I was talking about this with a friend of mine yesterday, and I asked her why our welfare recipients are not involved in something like this. I feel that handing people money month after month without their needing to earn it has demolished the national work ethic. Our society has become one where we can hold our hand out and expect someone else to fill it. We are too entitled. (Oops, I just veered onto my soap box.) I think Jennifer did an excellent job of showing how working for something fills the need to be productive.

I liked every one of these stories and can honestly recommend the collection to any of my friends. Four Strong Stars.

My thanks to Barbour Books for allowing me to read this book and present my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment