©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Irish Meadows

Irish Meadows is a horse breeding farm--one that's about to go under. Part of the problem is that horse racing has been abolished on Long Island.

Gilbert Whelan is coming back to Irish Meadows after finishing his business degree. Brianna O'Leary can't wait for his return, he's her best friend and riding partner. Colleen O'Leary only is excited as long as it benefits her. While Colleen and Brianna are only a year apart, they have had an adversarial relationship and Colleen is not opposed to using whatever or whomever she must to get her way. Brianna wants to further her education and expand her mind, while her father wants her to marry well and get an infusion of cash for the farm. It takes a serious health episode for James O'Leary for everyone to get their priorities straight and to overcome the obstacles that will lead to true love for Brianna and contentment for Colleen.

This is the setup Susan Anne Mason has used to get her novel set up for the reader's enjoyment. I grew up in a town where horse racing is a big thing. From January to April, people flock to my home town to watch horses run around a mud track. There were several jockeys who lived across the street from me and I played with one of their daughters for a long time in elementary school. I lived two blocks from the race track, and Daddy used to take me to the back side of the track to watch the horses run. This book was a perfect pick for me to read.

Susan Anne has pulled together quite a colorful lot of characters to make this novel a shining success. I read it much faster than I anticipated and loved every word of it. This is a Five Star, Two Thumbs Up, and a ride on a beautiful horse.

My thanks to Bethany House Publishers for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment