©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, January 18, 2016

Do You? I Do

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd find a writer of historical romance that I would like better than Karen Witemeyer, but I have found one story I like better than Karen's. With This Ring is a collection of four romance novellas in the wild, wild west by such authors as Karen Witemeyer, Mary Connealy, Regina Jennings, and Melissa Jagears. As I read each of the tales, I fell in love with each one more than the one before--which, if you follow the logic, means I liked the last one best of all.

Harrison Gray is extremely myopic and depends on his glasses to get him from place to place, and to be able to correct the papers of his students. Charlie Andrews is a tomboy who outshoots, outrides, outranches anyone around; and she doesn't mind humiliating anyone who wants to try to compete with her. When Harrison's glasses are broken on Charlie's ranch, she feels obligated to help him out in his classroom until his new ones come in. What she doesn't realize is how intimidating she is to other men and that is why no one has dated her. The only thing she is not good at is kissing, but Harrison is more than willing to help her improve her skills with more practice. When she asks the brother of the school bully she grew up with to marry her, Harrison has to stop her and make her realize what true love is. This would be my jacket blurb for Melissa Jagear's "Engaging the Competition."

All four of the tales are fun, quick, and entertaining reads. They will fill an afternoon of bad weather, bad mood, or bad hair day, and allow the reader to escape to simpler times and tougher lifestyles. This is a five star, two thumbs up book, with a kissing competition thrown in for good measure.

My thanks to Bethany House for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment