©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, January 4, 2016

Oh For a Huckleberry Patch of My Own

Anna and Felty are at it again--trying to make a match for their granddaughter with the local doctor, and even though neither are Amish, Anna feels that Dr Reynolds will be the perfect match for Cassie. Anna has to have a skin cancer removed from her foot and Cassie is coming to stay with Anna until she is able to be back on her feet.

There is a long row to hoe to get the doctor and Cassie together, to get their faith on solid footing, to come to a complete understanding of each other. Jennifer Beckstrand has well out-done herself in writing this book. I had a hard time putting it down, even though I had many other bids for my time. I did manage to finish crocheting a mitten while I was reading, although Anna's claim to fame is her knitting--especially potholders.

In the workings of the story are events like the death of a young boy from a heart that was too weak to withstand the stress his surgery put on it, finding faith when it seemed to be totally gone, maple sap tapping, an Amish haystack dinner and auction to benefit a woman with medical bills, a wrestling match, and a constant stream of cookies.

I found the characters to be real in their emotions and actions. There is a depth to the characters I haven't often seen--an overprotective and overbearing brother, a proud mother who cared more about other people's opinions, compassionate cousins, and loving family members. The doctor's reaction to the young boy's death was the reaction of someone who had come to care so much for the boy, but had no real understanding of who God is. I had tears rolling down my cheeks in several portions of the book. It is so easy to relate to the characters.

I wish I could give this book more than five stars, two thumbs up, and a plate of cookies, but these are the limits of my abilities.

My thanks to Zebra Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment