©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Centurion

I love waxing ecstatic about books I've read and loved. I love talking about the characters, the settings, and the plot. I love telling friends about the books and telling them to "feed their kindles." However, this is not one of those reviews.

The Centurion is a novel about the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the centurion, Lucius, who witnessed the execution, and his life afterwards. He meets Mary of Magdala and wants to know who this Jesus really is. The book flashes back and forth between the events in Mary's life and in Lucius' life.

My first problem with the book is that it left Lucius' faith quite vague--there is no real conclusion in Lucius as far as who Jesus truly is, and no real decision. The other problem is that too much of the book leaned on descriptions of information and that made the plot rather plodding. There was a lot of details of the Roman soldier's life and of the rules and regulations laid out for the soldiers. Nero's reign was worked into the book and his insanity was made a real part of the story, and the part that truly came alive was the fire that decimated Rome.

Ken Gire has written many books that have spoken to my heart and inspired changes in my life. I love his non-fiction and I've read several of his children's books that I have dearly loved. I will NOT give up on Ken and his writings, but this one just misses. Two Stars.

Dang, I hate writing these kinds of reviews, but I appreciate Moody Publishers for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment