©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Delighting in God

A W Tozer was a tremendous preacher of his day and he was one of those preachers who spoke against the grain of his time. I grew up during the times of hellfire and brimstone preaching, including pulpit pounding, shouting, and the depiction of God as a judgmental being ready to strike down any who would oppose Him. Tozer, on the other hand, preaches a God who loves His children, who delights in them, who gave everything He had in order to have a relationship with them. James Snyder researched Tozer's sermons and articles to pull together this book to show us that we can have that loving relationship with God. Before I go too much farther, I want to say that this is not a mushy, lovey-dovey type book, but it is one that plumbs depths of God's being to find out what delights God and how we can find our delight in Him.

One thing Tozer and Snyder make very clear is that if we can fully understand God, He's not God and he's too small to do us any good. His mystery should lead us to worship in the deepest way that we possibly can. It means that our prayers should be seeking His heart and His will in our lives. Having our prayers heard and answered depend on our obedience to God and our living our lives in the center of God's will.

I have already recommended this book to several of my friends, bought copies for my husband and children, and I plan to take another read through this book and make some serious notes to enhance my Bible study times. I wish I could give it ten stars, but five seem to be the limit.

My thanks to Bethany House for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment