©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Much-Too-Sweet Misfortune

I've read a couple of Maggie Brendan's books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I chose to read A Sweet Misfortune, thinking it would be up to Maggie's usual quality. I really hate to say I was mistaken.

Preston has asked his friend, John McIntyre, to rescue his sister from the Wild Horse Saloon where she makes her living as a dance hall girl. John rides into town, walks into the saloon and grabs Rachel off the stage and takes her to his home to live with his grandmother and him. Therein lies all the excitement and action the book holds. Rachel begins working in the millinery store owned by John's grandmother, Estelle, and begins to be noticed by several of the single young men in town, but especially by John.

What the book has going for it is that Rachel has much bitterness and anger to overcome, and it is by Estelle's and John's example of gratefulness in many circumstances that she is able to see the error of her ways and confesses her sins to the Lord. She is also able to show one of her dance hall girlfriends the way to Christ.

If you like super-sweet books, this one will fit your bill. I liked it well enough, but it lacked something for me.

Three stars.

My thanks to Revell Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment