©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Reluctant Duchess

I loved Roseanna M White's Culper Spy Ring series and thought I'd like The Reluctant Duchess, but either the timing was wrong, or the plot was wrong.

Rowena Kinnaird wants to leave Lochabar and get away from Malcolm--the man her father promised her to. Brice Nottingham has come to his country estate, and Rowena's lady's maid, Lilias, thinks he might be the way to rescue Rowena from Malcolm.

There are several elements in this book that are common to many of this type of book. There are gems that are in demand by more than one person, a few bitter people who all want the same thing--Brice, and a marriage of convenience.

I appreciated the fact that Brice was tuned in to God and listened to Him intently and then obeyed. I liked that Rowena finally found her chutzpah, but most of the rest of the story was truly extraneous. This is, at best, a three star book.

My thanks to Bethany House for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment