©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Healing the Wounded Heart

I chose this book because I had a phone call several months ago where someone very close to me told me she was raped at the innocent age of seven. She said the prequel of this book was recommended to her by her counselor and she wanted me to read it. While the circumstances of this young woman's assault are not the main focus of either book, there is good information in both books.

Dan Allender explains in Healing the Wounded Heart that he was sexually abused as a child. In fact, many more people than we could possibly imagine have suffered some sort of abuse in their childhoods.

Most of what Dr. Allender covers in his books deals with continuous abuse by family members and the damage done by these family members. While many of his concepts are helpful to rape victims, most do not help the victims of stranger assault. Dr. Allender's writing style is conversational, with personal stories to flesh out his counsel. He knows his subject because he's walked the same walk as his patients. It's a tough thing to go through and it's a tough thing to get past.

This book is worth reading by victims and family members of victims. Five Stars.

My thanks to Baker Books for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment