©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

An Amish Summer

Every now and then, I need to read a book to "cleanse the palate," and just lose myself in some lighter entertainment. This time it wasn't because I had just read a deeply involved book, but because I was about to read a more deeply involved book.  An Amish Summer was just the book I needed to read for this purpose.

A collection of four novellas, each one has its characters (not just the players in the book, but characters in the sense of personality), and its conundrums.  There were difficulties to overcome for each couple to make it to the marriage bench.  The authors collected here are top knotch Amish writers and are a joy to read.  It is entertaining to follow the dialects of the Amish used by the authors in their narratives.  Some of the words are the same, but the spelling is different.  Some of the words are completely different. The rules or the "Ordnung" are pretty much the same across the four novellas and the reactions to them are pretty uniform, as well.

This is a five-star collection, two thumbs up, and a summer full of fun!

My thanks to Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment