©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, February 6, 2017

Upon a Spring Breeze

I have never read an Amish novel that was out and out mean, but Upon a Spring Breeze is one of those books that leaves the reader mad at nearly every character. I get that in the Amish world, a woman's place is next to a man's, and that men are heads of their households. But the men in this book missed the part in Ephesians that says the men should love the women as Christ loved the church. I do understand that the author was trying to set up her story to show what Bess was going through in her emotions of losing her husband and then having a rather fussy baby. Most of the rest of the people in this community had no sympathy for Bess. They all seemed mean-hearted and otherwise unempathetic. At best this is a two-star book.

I've read other books by Kelly Irvin before and truly enjoyed them. She is a high quality writer who just missed it with this book, unless I am not getting her message. I had a really hard time getting past the personalities of the characters to actually read the whole book.

I really appreciate Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review this book

No comments:

Post a Comment