©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, December 29, 2014

Clip In


Clip In is a rather interesting book to read, because it could change the church culture world-wide if churches could hear what this book is saying. In using bicycle riding as a metaphor, the authors have created an interesting challenge--the challenge for churches to become a place of warmth and refuge. This makes the church atmosphere one of welcome and hospitality.

There have been times in my Christian life where I've shied away from more hospitable churches, I've sought out colder churches because I wanted to be anonymous--I didn't want to be noticed. I was a side-line sitter in my own life. Now I want my church to be one where people feel the warmth of being a welcome guest.

I like the way the authors differentiated between visitors and guests. A visitor is someone who shows up at your door unannounced, a guest is eagerly anticipated. A visitor may have ulterior motives for showing up at your place, something to sell, or a candidate to promote; a guest has been invited, has a place set at your table, and is always met with a smile! The authors hope that churches will expunge the word "visitor" from their vocabularies and replace it with guests. I agree. I'd rather be a welcomed guest than an unanticipated visitor.

One of the primary precepts of Clip In is the 5-10 Link which encourages members to seek out people they do not know and connect them with someone else within the congregation. This not only creates a welcoming atmosphere, but it connects people to more than just one member of the church.

This review only scratches the surface of what's in this book. But Jim Ozier and Fiona Haworth have put together a great program of hospitality that is easy to implement, biblical in content, and like bicycle riding--once learned is never forgotten.

Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and an honored guest at your table.

Abingdon Press provided this book in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment