©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Saturday, December 29, 2018

Searching for . . .

It is not often I will begin a book and not finish it. Even though I love Jody Hedlund's writings, I just couldn't wade through this one.  It is not the quality of Jody's writing--it's five star quality as always.  It is not the subject matter, I love historical fiction.  There is just a disconnect between Searching for You and me. 

Sophie is the "guardian" of Olivia and Nicholas, two very young children at the orphan's asylum.  She took them out of the asylum and lived with them on the streets of New York until one of Sophie's friends shot a member of a rival gang.  Sophie had to get the children out of New York for her own safety.  She got them on the Orphan Train and all the way to Mayfield, Illinois.

For some reason, Searching for You doesn't grasp and hold my attention the way her other books do.  Like I said, it's not the quality of the writing, it's not the subject matter, there's just a disconnect between me and the characters.

It's still a five star book that will enthrall someone else.

My thanks to Bethany House for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment