©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Jesus in Me

Years ago, I got to go to Anne Graham Lotz' "Just Give Me Jesus" presentation.  It was a "not to be missed" event with Fernando Ortega playing worship music, Jill Briscoe teaching on prayer, and Anne teaching Bible Study in addition to her messages during the event.  This came about after her book "Just Give Me Jesus" came out.  She's had several books come out since then.  Her newest offering is Jesus in Me, which could also be called The Holy Spirit for Dummies. 

She breaks down the Being of the Holy Spirit into the ways He lives within us and into Old Testament and New Testament ways He worked.  Taking all the names of the Holy Spirit, she describes just a few of the ways He works within us and through us.  In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit rested on people for a specific time or a specific job God wanted done.  In the New Testament, we have become the Holy Spirit's dwelling place and thereby have direct access to God. 

I remember a night that happened fifteen and a half years ago.  I had gone to the doctor for a "routine" visit.  "Any problems?"  "Just that I'm eating Tums like candy for the indigestion."  "Oh, you must have gall stones.  Let's set up an ultrasound to check that out."  That ultrasound didn't reveal gall stones, but many tumors in my liver, with a special name beyond just cancer.  Talk about an event that turns your world upside down, this was it.  One night in the week following the ultrasound, I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep until I heard a whisper in my head, "I will keep you in perfect peace because your mind is steadfast on me" repeated over and over again until I fell asleep again.  I had experienced the Holy Spirit in a way I couldn't explain. 

Anne's writing style is friendly, making the reader feel like she is sitting down with Anne and having a cup of coffee. The information Anne relates is not a "shove it down your throat" type writer, but a friend wanting to share the greatest things in her life. 

Five Stars

My thanks to NetGalley.com and Multnomah for providing the galley I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment