©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The Bright Unknown

The Bright Unknown is my first book to read by Elizabeth Byler Younts.  I wish I had known more about her writings, because this book is not exactly the kind of book I'd pick up to read.  The plot is dark, the characters are sympathetic but they lived through a lot of pain, and the setting is (for me) nightmarish. 

Brighton Friedrich is living in an asylum, mainly because she was born there and her mother was a patient there.

Angel is a boy living in the boys' ward and doesn't know his real name. 

Brighton and Angel finally make a way out of the asylum--Brighton wants to find her aunt in Michigan, and Angel wants to just be himself, not the albino in the boys' ward.

I wish I had liked it more, but it just didn't meet me where I am right now.  Two Stars

My thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley.com for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment