©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Diamond in the Rough

Jen Turano writes about girls who are just not the societal norm.  Somehow or other they find themselves in one conundrum or another and require the aid of a handsomely dashing hero.  The current book I am reading--Diamond in the Rough--is a bit vapid.  Poppy Garrison is having a season that her grandmother is sponsoring.  Poppy is also in trouble of one sort or another nearly every day and that makes up the whole plot of the book.  While her grandmother hires a young Englishman to tutor her into the ways of society and to make her a "Diamond of the First Water."  The job is not in any way easy. 

I generally enjoy Jen's writings for the most part.  The shenanigans the heroines get into are often hilarious and engaging.  This book is not quite up to the quality of Jen's writings but is still enjoyable.  I often read what I call "fluff," light-hearted books with not a great deal of substance in the plot.  This is one of the fluffiest books I've read in a while. 

At some time, I wish that Jen would take on some of history's entertaining ladies to write about--like Calamity Jane, Belle Starr, Mae West, even Annie Oakley.

This is a three star book.   My thanks go to Bethany House and NetGalley.com for providing the galley I read for this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment