©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write a Letter

 


The Lost Manuscript is one of the most unusual books I've read so far this year, and it was a great introduction to Cathy Bonidan's writings.  I do feel the title is a bit of a misnomer; I think I would have called it The Found Manuscript.  

Anne-Liese is on a vacation without something to read (sacrilegious, to be sure), but she found a manuscript of a novel in the night stand of her hotel room.  She reads this story and cannot remain untouched by the plot, but since it is obviously a manuscript, she feels she must find the original author and return it to him.  

The entirety of this novel is written in letters to various people involved with the manuscript: one in finding out who wrote the book in the first place, two in finding out the circuitous route it took to get to Anne-Liese's motel room, and three in finding out who wrote the last half of the story.  In all the letters new friendships are forged and old friendships are strengthened.  

The book itself is a satisfying tale that ties up all the loose ends and brings closure to the story.  At times, the plot dragged for me, but in the end, it became so compelling that I stayed up way too late to finish reading it.  This is a strong Four Star Book.  

St Martin's Press and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment