©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, March 1, 2021

All That Really Matters

 


This book really surprised me.  My first impression is that the characters were vapid and didn't have much substance.  Molly McKenzie is a social media influencer for make-up and fashion.  She has a talent manager/boyfriend who encourages her to find a worthy cause to help her image and put her in the running for a NetFlix series on helping underprivileged youth.  Through her twin brother, she finds a group home for young adults who have aged out of foster care.  When she gets involved with the girls during the summer, she learns more about herself than she ever thought possible.  

Like I said, I thought the book was shallow and it was hard for me to plow through far enough to begin to see the growth of Molly and the other characters.  There is quite a bit of conflict that make the plot move, after a slow start.  I was pleasantly surprised and gratified at how the book ended up.  Nicole Deese left enough clues to make sure that readers would be looking for a sequel.  

Three and a half stars, but I'll round up to four. 

Bethany House and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment