©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, October 29, 2021

Flying Falling Catching


I was introduced to Henri Nouwen's writings in 2003 when I attended a conference on deepening my prayer life.  I started collecting his works and read him voraciously.  He had a lot to teach me and I was a sponge trying to absorb everything he taught.  When this book showed up as a potential book for me to read and review, I jumped on it.  I am so pleased that HarperOne chose me to read and review it through NetGalley.  

While there are many spiritual truths put forth in this book, this is more of a spiritual memoir than a teaching book.  Henri departed this life twenty-five years ago, but the legacy he left behind is one of graciousness, enthusiasm, energy, and depth.  There is just no other way to put it.  He was a deep man, with faults and foibles, but also a deep abiding love for the God he served.  

Much of this book deals with the Flying Rodleighs trapeze artists with the Barum Circus in Europe.  On a whim, Henri and his father attended the circus for something to do and that began the five year friendship Henri had with the Rodleighs.  Henri got to see the behind-the-scenes life of these performers  and even take part in sharing life with them.  In turn, they gear him up to take a ride on a trapeze.  The description of his joy in being on the swing was just priceless--something on the order of that if he didn't have ears, his smile would have met in the back of his head. 

Carolyn Whitney-Brown dealt with some of Henri's struggles with dignity and compassion, and she put together the book that Henri wanted to write about the Rodleighs. Throughout the book, she describes his last days and the care that was taken by the emergency personnel when he had his initial heart attack.  This is a poignant, funny, spiritually deep book that will keep the reader engaged from beginning to end.  I learned much, but most of all I learned to love the man himself for who he was.  He lived his life as well as he felt he could.  He took the time to learn from those around him, even when their communication skills are non-existent. He was always ready to share with those who needed something--a word of encouragement, a friend to stand beside them, or even a meal.  He was an extraordinary, yet ordinary person, who lived his life as well as he could. 

Five Stars

HarperOne and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment