©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Lumberjacks and Ladies


I like to read anthologies of short novels to fill odd times when I have to wait for an appointment or something.  Barbour Books is one of the best publishers for these kinds of books.  They know how to collect the best authors to make these books so enjoyable. 

Lumberjacks and Ladies has four stories that take place in logging areas around the northern United States, starting in Maine, going to Michigan and Wisconsin, then ending up in Idaho. Each of the authors writes about the area where she lives or grew up, so the setting descriptions seem to be on point. The characters are likable and each has their own set of faults and foibles to make them more real.  

The only thing I didn't like about the collection is that the stories didn't touch a "need" for me, but I think that is more taste than any fault of the authors.  The writing was good, and I found that made it easier to read through the stories.  I think the best one was the last one that took place primarily in Idaho.  A bit of mystery is involved in the plot and made the story far more compelling.  It also involved a couple of the characters turning their lives around, and becoming more compassionate people. 

Four Stars. 

Barbour Books and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment