©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, October 10, 2022

Pride and Puppies


I'm not sure what I was expecting when I asked to read and review this book.  From what I read, it was supposed to be a pretty funny read with a side of romance, but it wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it would be.  For me, the humor was forced, and therefore, didn't come across well.  I've not read any other books by Lizzie Shane, and this wasn't the kind of first impression that keeps me coming back for more.  

For the most part, the characters are likable, believable, and real.  Kendall thinks that Charlotte sabotages herself in the romance department by looking for love in all the wrong places, but she and Magda are Charlotte's best friends who stand beside and try to coach her in finding love.  

George lives in the same apartment complex as Charlotte, works with Charlotte, and is in love with Charlotte.  He only wishes she could see him for who he truly is.  

After Charlotte's latest break-up, she decides to get a dog to fulfill her desires for love.  When she goes to the animal shelter, she finds the perfect puppy for her, a golden retriever that had been rescued from a puppy mill.  With George's help in training her pup (he already has a Bernese Mountain dog, Duke), she and Bingley bond in a way far more satisfying than the past loves she's known.  

The book is set in a small town in Vermont where newcomers will be called such for time and eternity.  I live in such a small town (though not in Vermont), and have lived here for forty years, but I am still a newcomer in the grand scheme of things. 

There are many enjoyable parts to this book and lots of people will like reading it.  For me it is at most a three star book, but that is my opinion.  

Forever (Grand Central Publishing provided the galley I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment