©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Famous for a Living


I loved the first book I read by Melissa Ferguson.  It was witty, funny, and intriguing.  The second book I read by her was also quite entertaining.  But this one was a bit out of my league, out of my depth, and out of my generation.  Cat Cranwell has built a life on  Instagram, touting brands, influencing her followers, and generally making a name for herself by the pictures she takes with her camera and posting them on Instagram.  I do use social media myself, but I am not out to influence anyone.  I am there for the giggles and encouragement I can get from the groups I follow.  I also use it to keep up with friends, but I am not out to influence them in any capacity.  So that part of social media is beyond my ken.  

The plot has a few kinks in it, but overall, makes sense.  The one issue I have with the book is that Melissa has gone overboard with her super-hyphenating.  Because I read a galley on  an  e-reader, it made the reading tedious when hyphens were left out, and when there were too many hyphens in a row.  They  were distracting at best and aggravating at worst. 

The premise of the book is that Cat is charged unlawful collecting of data through an app she promoted through her social media.  In order to find a haven, she goes across the country to Montana to stay with her uncle in the Kannery National Park.  He needs her social media expertise to help keep  Kannery from becoming absorbed by Glacier National Park.  His right hand man, Zaiah, draws Cat into life at the park through the various contests held throughout the season Cat is there.  He doesn't like what she does, with good reason, but he is falling for her in spite of it.  

The settings in northwestern Montana and in New York City are as diverse as the characters themselves, but create an impressive backdrop for the plot.  This alone helps keep the book up to a three star read.  

Thomas Nelson provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment