©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Two to Tango



I didn't like this book by Kathleen Fuller nearly as much as I liked the other books in the series.  The setting is wonderfully easy to imagine place for me, even though it is a fictional town, there are many references to real towns that I know personally.  

The issues I had with this book were the characters--a boundary-stomping, entitled mother named Karen, the match-making Bosom Buddies, a weak-spined son named Kingston, and a mousy Olivia.  Karen was the epitome of all the Karen memes across the internet. The Bosom Buddies, or the BBs, went into overdrive in their meddling match-making.  Kingston was just the mama's boy who couldn't say no until someone said no to him quite forcefully, finally making him take an intense look at himself to see who he really was and how spineless he actually was.  Olivia  was the librarian and content to just let life move around her without much of involvement from her.  I think the only character who knew his own mind and what he really wanted was Jasper, the retired hardware clerk.  

I really wanted to like the book more and to have an entertaining read, but I was disappointed.  The ending of the book ties up all the loose ends and the characters see their true needs and address them, but some characters take responsibilities that are not theirs to carry.  It just wasn't a great read for me and was a disappointment after the others in the series were, in my mind, so much better. Two Stars.

Thomas Nelson Publishing provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment