©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, March 27, 2023

Fairest of Heart


Karen Witemeyer is one of my favorite historical authors.  She writes about an area of the country I am familiar with, but she writes about times that predate me by 50-100 years.  It's all good.  

Fairest of Heart was not what I expected, especially not from Karen.  I was rather disappointed in the way the  plot played out and I felt it was too predictable. Penelope and Titus as the main characters were a bit weak and the true stars of the show were the seven men living on Titus' grandfather's ranch.  In spite of my disappointment, I will still choose to read every offering by her.  

The villains in the book stand out because they are aptly named and characterized.  The heroes are a bit quieter in their demeanor throughout the book, but sometimes heroes are largely unsung. 

I will say there are plenty of laugh out loud parts in the plot, some very sweet parts, some particularly heinous parts, and the rest of it was rather ordinary parts. It is a good read, just not as good as her other books.  Three to four stars, but I'll round up to four. 

Bethany House provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment