©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The Lacemaker



I used to buy a lot of sewing collectibles on eBay and I have looked at the lacemaking bobbins and pillows thinking I would like to learn how to make lace.  Then I saw a video on making lace and I think I'll stick to crocheting lace and let the experts do that stuff.  But when I saw Laura Frantz's book, The Lacemaker, I knew I had to read it, without even knowing what it was about. 

Image result for lace makingThe timing of the novel is on the cusp of the War of Independence, and Elisabeth is sitting on the fence as far as where her loyalties lie.  Her father is the lieutenant governor of the Virginia colony and demands that his family follows his tyrannical lead in supporting the crown.  When the governor's and lieutenant governor's mansions are invaded and sacked, Elisabeth's father runs for safety, leaving Elisabeth to manage on her own.  She searches all over town before finding a place to stay, sew, and make her lace, but it's in a "rebel" stronghold and not as safe as it would seem.  One of her customers was Noble Rynallt, who took more than a passing interest in Elisabeth, and wanted to protect her.

I love Laura's books for the most part.  I've read a few that haven't excited me as much as others have, but this one is so good that it is truly hard to put down. She has woven history and historical personalities into the plot so that not only was I entertained, but I was also educated.  Which liberators were hot-headed which ones were even tempered, which ones held honor as the highest trait a man can have, all of these have been included in the telling of this fascinating story.

Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a yard of handmade lace.

My thanks to Revell Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment