©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Wunderland

I've not read any books by Jennifer Cody Epstein and for me, this was not a nice introduction to her works.  It was somewhat ignoble, at least for what I was looking for.  There were insights of wartime Germany, but the overall plot was dark and foreboding throughout the whole book. 

Ilse and Renate were friends and assumed they were of full German blood.  The real test comes when Renate finds that her father is Jewish and she finds she's half Jewish.  She does escape just before Ilse is forced to "rat her family out" to the Gestapo.  

There is no love lost between Renate and Ilse after this.  Ilse has a mindset that revolves around herself, and she can see no farther than the end of her nose.  

Renate's mindset is one of a victim who is always picked on and bullied. 

There is one more character who is left to sort out the mess that Isle left behind and basically figure out who she is.  

This book ranks three stars from me.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't wonderful either. 

My thanks to Crown Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book. 

1 comment:

  1. A multi-generational book about how lies affected each. A truly unique book which I would recommend to friends and family.

    Riyanna
    Shocked at Taint Pain Cure

    ReplyDelete