©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Bringing in the Sheaves

Naomi Stephens has undertaken the task of writing the story of Ruth and Boaz in novel form in another time era.  This book fell below my expectations and wasn't the read I thought it was going to be. Shadow Among Sheaves is a thinly veiled attempt to tell this story with only setting changes.  Set during the time of England's occupation of India, the story begins with Nell and Rena Hawley returning to England after the death of their husbands.  Nell is Rena's mother-in-law, and Rena is an Indian native. 

Rena is not welcomed in Abbottsville because of her darker skin and her being an outsider. This is one redeeming feature of the book, because the discrimination and lack of acceptance gave a good idea of what Ruth went through when she went from Moab to Israel with Naomi.

This was not a book to hold my attention or intrigue my imagination.  It is at best a two star book.  I would rather try to suss out what Bible story I am reading and be beguiled by the plot.

My thanks to Barbour/Shiloh Run Books for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment