©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, October 25, 2019

Mercy Road

I've never read a book by Ann Howard Creel and I feel that she is a quality author, but I found Mercy Road kind of slow reading, or the events were rather slow in happening. 

Arlene Favier lives at home with her parents and the horses.  She's decided she loves no one as much as she loves her horses, so she's decided to never get married (at least not yet). 

When the family home burns down and her father dies, she leaves for Cincinnati to make money to rebuild their home and horse-breeding farm.  In Cincinnati, Arlene finds a job as an ambulance driver in France because of her fluency in the language and her mechanical aptitude to keep the trucks in running order.

There was an officer who tried to make time with Arlene, but she really didn't feel anything for him.  She later finds out he's not what he purports to be.  This is about where I bogged down in the book, and flipped to the end to see how it all turned out.  The ending wasn't surprising, and it would be a satisfying ending for most readers.  I just couldn't slog through the book any more.  Three stars from me.  This is my opinion and it could come from my own taste, or how I'm feeling when I'm reading, or any of a number of factors.  This book just didn't scratch my reading itch.

I want to thank Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley.com for allowing me to read and review this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment