©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

The Fifth Avenue Story Society

I enjoy reading Rachel Hauck's novels for the depth of characters and plot lines she puts into her books. When I picked up her latest book--The Fifth Avenue Story Society, I was a bit disappointed.  Most of the time, I pick up one of her books and read straight through.  This time, every little shiny object or every squirrel distracted me, and I just wasn't as captivated by the plot as I thought I would be. 

There are five prominent characters:  Lexa, Jett, Ed, Coral, and Chuck; each with their own troubles and their own conflicts, but none of these five are the main character.  It is Gilda, the librarian who has called them all together--anonymously--to meet together and maybe find healing in the friendships they will develop in the Story Society.  She is understated, coming out into the plot when she's needed to push things along.  It's by her hand (so to speak) that the other characters find what they need.

This is a three star book, but only in my opinion.  My thanks goes to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley.com for providing the galley I read for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment