©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, July 13, 2020

An Amish Singing

Amy Clipston usually writes quality Amish fiction, but this set of novellas fell short of her usual high standards.  Each one revolves around a couple who spend time singing for the shut ins of the Bird-in-Hand church, and for the people who come to an Amish house to experience Amish culture and food.  Each couple has a road bump to overcome to find true love. 

The stories are a bit trite and formulaic, and the characters are quite shallow.  There is no depth or dimension to them.  The settings are fine, and rather descriptive.   I just wish more time had been spent developing the characters, making them seem more real and approachable.

Like I said, Amy is an author who writes great Amish fiction, but this one is a miss.  Even though I didn't like this offering, I will be reading Amy's future books.   Two stars.

Zondervan Fiction and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment