©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, August 28, 2020

The Amish Christmas Gift

 

I had a seriously hard time reading this book.  The characterizations of the protagonists were mere caricatures of the characters they could have been.  Elsie is portrayed as the constant clumsy oaf-ette, and Levi is the most absent-minded fiance ever.  Elsie's escapades could have been amusing, but they seemed to be window-dressing to make Elsie seem more incompetent. 

Levi is a gifted wood carver who makes toys in his spare time, while being a contractor for a day job. His great sin was leaving Elsie at a cousin's wedding in another state.  

I looked other reviews I've written on books by Laura V Hilton and found she's rather hit-or-miss in her writing. This is at best a two star book.  

Grand Central Publishing and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment