©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, September 11, 2020

The Promised Land

 


When I saw this book in the list of possible books to read for review, I chose it simply because of the Camino involvement in the plot.  My husband was supposed to hike the Caminio de Santiago this year, because of COVID, Spain closed its borders to tourists.  

Abbie is a woman who has to be in control of all aspects of her life, her sons' lives, and her husband's life. When her older son decides to go to Europe for a "gap year" between high school and college, and her husband goes to Chicago for three months, and her younger son goes off to boarding school; Abbie sees her well-ordered life spiral out of control.  

At the suggestion of her mother, Abbie begins seeing a woman who is not a therapist, but considers herself a spiritual guide.  Abbie's son, Bobby, mentions that he's planning a trek on the Camino in France, and Abbie decides to go along--which defeats Bobby's purpose in taking the trip. However, it does work in his favor in the end.  

Abbie has to face some not very nice truths about herself and in the end return to who she really is.  

I've read several Elizabeth Musser books and I find her work to be compelling and intriguing, just as I found this one.  The one criticism I have is that the people populating the book are extreme in their characterizations.  While it is more rewarding to read books about flawed people (as we all are), it was not as satisfying to read a book about characters I wouldn't like in real life.  Still, the narrative moves at a good pace, and the settings are amazing.  I will still give this book four stars. 

Bethany House and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  The opinions expressed are totally my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment