©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Sweetshop of Dreams


This book is a re-release of a 2014 book that sounded good in theory, but in the actual reading wasn't what I expected.  I wanted to give up on reading it several times, but muddled my way through it.  

Rosie Hopkins is called by her mother to go and help her great aunt who fell and broke her leg.  Rosie's mom, Angie, wants Rosie to sell her aunt Lillian's sweetshop and put Lillian in a nursing home.  Rosie is an auxiliary nurse with enough medical knowledge to help Lillian out, so she leaves London to go to Lipton to do what she can.  

Rosie takes on the care of her aunt, her aunt's sweetshop, and the care of a few other people in Lipton, including helping the local doctor take care of an injured dog.  Even though she has a boyfriend, her affections seem to float all over the place with a couple of single men in the area. 

I've never read anything by Jenny Colgan, and probably won't read anything by her again, simply because I prefer clean romances, and this was not that.  Her characters were fleshed out and her settings were easily imaginable.  Her writing is good for what it is, but it doesn't fit my preferences.  I didn't like the book, but others will love it.  It's a matter of taste 

Four Stars

Sourcebooks Landmark and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment