©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

The Nature of a Lady


Roseanna M White is an author I have enjoyed and appreciated for a few years.  She writes romance with a spot of intrigue thrown in for good measure.  That is why I chose to read The Nature of a Lady, assuming I would enjoy this book as much as I have enjoyed some of her others.  There are three characters whose names are some variant of Elizabeth--Lizza, Beth, and Lady Elizabeth or Libby.  All three have something to do with one cottage on one of the Scilly Islands. Lizza is the wife of  a pirate long since dead, Beth is the sister of the vicar who took to the cottage for a vacation and then disappeared, and Libby takes over the cottage while trying to escape her brother's match-making machinations. 

Roseanna has populated the book with heroes, villains, and people masquerading as something other than they truly are. While there are parts of the book that are truly enjoyable, I found that the time it took her to set up the plot was a bit long and sluggish.  Part of the reason I didn't appreciate this book as much as her others may simply be a matter of taste.  It just didn't grab my interest the way other of her books have. Other readers will be drawn into the plot quite easily, it just wasn't the book for me.  

If it weren't for the sluggishness in the beginning, the book would be worth more stars, but I can only give it three.  

Bethany House and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment